Promoting a safe environment and preventing injury in the workplace is a top priority for all employers. Securitas's latest Security Spotlight article, "Think Safety, Work Safely", discusses the importance of taking a proactive rather than reactive approach toward safety training. It discusses ways to avoid slips and falls and implement a safety program within your company. Security patrols and ongoing training for security personnel and employees are just a couple examples of how to get started.
The article also highlights 6 fundamental elements of a good safety attitude that can direct safer work habits.
- Awareness: Pay attention. Stay alert to the possible hazards in your work environment so that you can take steps to correct or guard against them.
- Focus: Concentrate on the task(s) at hand. Distractions, boredom or fatigue can lead to accidents and other safety hazards.
- Strength: Have the strength to do the right thing even when it's easier not to. Follow safety procedures and post orders completely, every time.
- Patience: Take the time to do things correctly every time - like always buckling your seatbelt, even on quick trips. There are no shortcuts to safety.
- Responsibility: Take responsiblity for a safe work environment to benefit yourself and others.
- Thought: Stop to think before you act. Accidents are not always the result of bad luck. They occur when someone decides - consciously or not - to take a chance. Be smart and avoid taking unnecessary risks.
To read the complete article, visit Think Safety, Work Safely.